This is how the conversation went when the "plumber" showed up to turn the thermostat on our hot water heater up...apparently the hot water heater is above the second floor somewhere....
Me: Hello...how are you?
Him: Fix water heater.
Me: (trying to debate whether I should explain to him it isn't broken just that it needs to be hotter...I decide against it)...Yes. Where is it? How will you get to it?
Him: No
Me: How will you get to it???
Him: ***gives puzzled look then says a word I am unfamiliar with***
Me: Do you have to go through a room to get to the hot water heater???
Him: **puzzled look**
Me: How do you get to it?
Him: undecipherable word...thankfully a small cherry picker comes around the corner and he then points to the cherry picker.
Me: Ohhhhh...ok
Him: Housekeeping?
Me: What?
Him: Housekeeping?
Me: I don't know what you mean?
Him: Housekeeping?
Me: Yes.
Him: Who?
Me: I don't know.
He then proceeds to do his work and I go inside. Once he is finished he comes inside and tests all the water.
Him: New
Me: What?
Him: New
Me: Oh, thank you very much.
Ugh.
You know, I don't know why people think we would benefit from learning Arabic. To live here, it would be MUCH more useful to learn Hindi!!! And it would have the added advantage that we could watch Bollywood movies without the subtitles...
ReplyDelete