"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." --Matthew 28:19-20
What does that passage mean to you? Jesus charges his followers to go and "disciple"...not necessarily "save" them. People are saved by the grace of God...period....nothing else. So it is our job to disciple people. The definition of disciple according to the dictionary is "to teach or train." I feel certain that burning a bunch of korans will not necessarily disciple (train or teach) anyone anything buy anger, intolerance, and hatred.
1 Corinthians 13:11-13:
When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
And Matthew 12:33 tell us, "To love him with all your heart, with all your understanding and with all your strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself is more important than all burnt offerings and sacrifices."
We are called to DISCIPLE and to LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF. I don't know about you, but I don't think that burning another religion's holy book is representing either of those commands given to us by Jesus.
"We are definitely probably insulting all Muslims," the Rev. Terry Jones of the Dove World Outreach Center told CBS News Correspondent Kelly Cobiella. "The fact that we offend them is the lesser of two evils."
Jones believes radical Islam could take over the United States and that the best way to fight back is by sending a radical message, Cobiella reports.
"Sooner or later we're going to have to say no to radical Islam," Jones told Cobiella. "We feel what we are doing is we are actually revealing the nature of Islam."
He actually said we are definitely probably insulting all Muslims....besides the obvious contradiction in his "definitely probably" statement....I don't think INSULTING is synonymous with DISCIPLING OR LOVING!?!?!?
Gen. David Petraeus warned in an e-mail to The Associated Press that "images of the burning of a Quran would undoubtedly be used by extremists in Afghanistan - and around the world - to inflame public opinion and incite violence."
I, being a Christain living in a muslim country among muslims both peaceful and radical, am extremely offended and alarmed by the fact that this supposed man of God is completely disregarding the safety of many many Americans outside his little bitty community. His failure to realize the NEGATIVE ripple effect of his actions are reprehensible.
The rest of the world is watching and lumping Christians in to his "group."
Considerate Christians. They make God and His body of believers look good. Sure, believers already know He is good. But others? They are watching. And lumping. What do they see in you?
No comments:
Post a Comment