Well...we've made it to Saudi Arabia...with all but two pieces of luggage. My laptop and a big duffle bag full of goodies didn't make it. I know...I know...don't ever check your laptop! Don't judge me! We had 10 bags, 3 carry-ons, two purses, a tennis racket and my pillow and they offered to check an extra for free (how considerate of them since I had just paid SEVEN HUNDRED dollars for extra bags) so I checked my laptop...it was heavy! It weighs a bazillion pounds. Live and learn. Don't check your laptop because someone will steal it...and the $400 Rosetta Stone software that was with it! I checked the tracer online today and it says that they delivered my duffle bag to me three days ago...ummmm, they haven't.
I am sitting here surrounded by complete disorganization and chaos drinking my coffee and it is 7:00a.m. I have been awake for three hours. I am afraid this move has caused the girls and me severe jetlag. I actually went to bed at 10pm and slept all night, but I awoke every hour on the hour. It was not the most peaceful nights sleep. I think I managed to get a few more hours of sleep than the night before. The girls have been up off and on all night. They are not adjusting well....but then they slept all day and stayed up all night at home in Texas.
I attempted to clean and organize yesterday...I was unsuccessful. I unpacked our pictures, did some laundry, cleaned the kitchen and had to take a nap...five hours later john was home from work and it was time for me to cook dinner. There are literally no drawers or closets in this whole villa. There is no place to put our clothing or anything else. We didn't bring any of our furniture to Bahrain with us because we were planning on getting a furnished villa...since we were able to choose our own furniture, we got what we needed. Here it is furnished with the basics sooooo we will have to buy stuff. We really don't want to do that as we have a house FULL of furniture at home. Ugh. I wanted to buy stuff while we lived here, but unique antique pieces...not cheap necessary bookshelves and dressers...we literally have enough dressers back in Texas for 2 or 3 families.
We are going on our fourth day here and we haven't done much. I am getting ready to call the school to see if I can get Madeline in this week. I sent an email but haven't heard back. Janie is enrolled at the University of Texas HS so she will start her stuff soon....hopefully....lol. Most of the compound is still in the States or vacationing so it is very quiet here. John is working days, but he switches to graveyards on Monday night...BOOOO...it is just for 6 days and then he won't have to do it again, but I am not looking forward to it.
We are starting the search for our Christmas Break vacation. None of us wants to go to the beach so we are looking at other options. So far it is between taking the train and visiting Eastern Europe or taking the train and visiting and skiing in Switzerland, Austria, and possibly Germany. We plan on visiting potential boarding schools for Madeline...one is outside of Geneva and one is in Germany. She is leaning toward a school in New York on the Hudson River, but who knows. The one in New York has a great arts program with an emphasis on film, drama, Broadway trips, etc. I think that is what she is excited about. We go to New York all the time so I am trying to talk her in to something more exotic like Switzerland. Anyone can go to New York, but not everyone gets the opportunity to live in Switzerland. Who knows.....
We dropped Alison off at college the weekend before we left. *sigh* I miss her a lot. She and Myriah have an apartment together this year rather than the dorm. It isn't the best place in the world, but it is big and very close to campus. We are looking to sell our house in Sweeny and buy a house in College Station. Janie plans on going to Texas A&M next year so it will be better to move our home base to there for now. It will be cheaper for us in the long run too. So if you know of anyone that wants to buy a house in Sweeny let me know. It is a 4-2-2 detached. It's about 1900SF...it has new tile floors everywhere but the bedrooms, a brand new outside AC unit, and new bathtubs and surrounds. We will take $120,000 as is, by owner.
We are going shopping tonight...I hate shopping...so we are going back to Khobar. I will try and a few pictures to post of our new country.
I miss all my friends and family. *sniff* Hope everyone is well....
No comments:
Post a Comment