Stalker Central


I decided to write this blog for my friends and family to be able to follow our adventures ...if you are reading this, you are officially a STALKER! HA! Welcome stalkers....





Monday, November 15, 2010

Random Observations

There are some random observations that are completely unrelated but I keep forgetting to write them down....so I am going to try and remember all the things I have been making note of....

The "open door" and "close door" buttons on the elevator really work here...unlike in American where when you push those buttons it does nothing.  Here if you push the button to close the doors it does.  And if you get caught in the doors while they are closing they don't pop back open like they do in America!  It shuts on you and it hurts...bad.

When you go over 120 KMH there is a light that flashes on your speedometer...some cars even simultaneously beep!

Most stations on our cable do not have commercials.  Fox News uses Fox Extras to fill the space.  It is weird because things will end or begin at random times instead of on the half hour and hour.

They have weird three-pronged electrical outlets, but most of the stuff you buy has the European plug so you have to buy dozens of adaptors.

There is a hierarchy here in Bahrain...it is:  Bahranis, Westerners, Women, Indians.  There are three different prices for things as well.  There is a Bahrani price, a western price and an indian price...it's unfair, but it is what it is....

American pork is banned here...not really sure why, but they say it has something to do with our outbreak of the "swine flu" in America last year?  That may be a rumor...

Gas stations are full-serve here.  It was weird going to Germany and having to get out to pump our own gas...I will miss this if we ever move away from here.....

The movie theaters are awesome.  When you buy tickets you pick your seats just like you would at a concert.  I love that because everyone can sit together...if you go in to the movie after it has started an attendant takes you to your seat with a flashlight.

Almost all the bathrooms come with a sprayer that looks just like a kitchen sink sprayer only it is attached to the wall...they usually have bedets too, but they almost always have the sprayer.

The drinking age is 18, but they don't ever card anyone.

The weekends here are Friday and Saturday.  The first day of the week is Sunday. 

Church is on Friday.  I have had trouble getting used to that one!

Everything is or can be delivered.  You may never have to leave your home again.  I can't stress everything enough....groceries, food, laundry, etc.  They even have mobile spas so that you can get your mani/pedi without leaving home.  If it isn't delivered then you can pull up outside the establishment you wish to purchase from and honk.  An indian will come to your car and you can tell him what you want and he will get it.

The king sized bed here is not the same size as home.  It is almost as wide, but it is very short.  John's legs almost hang off the end AND our sheets don't fit.  It is the same with queen sized beds...they look like fulls and the sheets don't fit.

People just throw trash out the windows of their cars.  They don't care.

Overpasses are called flyovers.

Poppy seeds are banned.

You're not supposed to drink the water...I don't know why, but I am not going to try it...

That is all I can think of right now....

No comments:

Post a Comment